Sunday, October 14, 2007

Angel-Light, the Gaze of Child-like Delight

In October, especially in the afternoon, the illumination in the Square is brilliant. Always changing, the reflections off the Tower’s glass-panels cascading down onto the brick pavement, or the rays reflected off of the Church’s stained-glass, or other ‘echoes of light’ in this rectangular canyon shower the ‘Trickster’ with the special effects he often requires for his performance.
It was a delight again to be greeted by the Duck Tour hosts and their crews. Always a pleasure to wave and laugh to the families and the children. My heart grows fuller and fuller with each passing observer and welcome. It does both my mind and heart good to be so involved in the passing of the day with so many people in this mid-Autumn glow.
There, another picture is snapped of me with my WindScooter above my chin!
And, there, a video camera follows my glide around the plaza!
And, there again, a ‘high-Five’ from a group of skateboarders! “THAT’S SICK!”
“Thanks!” I shout back as I catch the next ‘wave of wind’.

But, it was a passerby named John who offered me a nice word of encouragement. “You are like a child. Even in the Bible, it calls us to be like children. You’re happy and that’s attractive and desired by people who watch you.”

“Thanks, John.” I said, shaking his large, carpenter’s hand. “I’ll treasure what you’ve said. Happiness, yes. Happiness to be found in life, in whatever circumstance or station in life we might find ourselves.” To everyone who watches, I hope I can express these sentiments, that we find ourselves as children, that happiness is available day to day, perhaps in the simplest of activities and sharing, in the smiles and laugher of life, as the children know it, and teach us.

No comments: