Monday, April 15, 2013

Trouble Erupts Again Between Skateboarders and the Public

As one commented, "this has been going on for years!"
Yea.
I've witnessed it continually, and from all angles.

Before I had my Wind-scooter, I watched nervously, maybe even with a certain amount of hostility myself, the skateboarders riding the Copley Sq. fountain area.

But, it took me by surprise that, when I'd gotten my own "wheels", I was experiencing what I came to understand as unfair hostile resentment from a wide variety of people.

So, as an older person, who had sung in the Trinity Church as a boy in the early 1960's (a soprano! LOL)  and who had later worked on Newbury St. for 30 years, I found my situation, perspective unique.

Also, over the ten years I've been riding myself in the Copley Sq. area, I've managed to discover a fine niche, a balance between avoiding interference with public business and activity with my own practice of a select activity. And this has evolved into a reasonably safe and accepted one with some entertainment value thrown in. There are some self-imposed rules I follow, careful consideration of where I'm practicing my craft, and an ever-evolving understanding of public space.

I believe that there needs  a better opportunity for an honest dialogue concerning this issue. Just as the biking community has been sorting some very serious issues regarding sharing the roads, the 'alternative' transportation-sport/skateboard community needs a better forum to voice concerns and to hear others' concerns.

My sense is that it probably won't happen.
Or if there's a meeting of concerned people it won't even approach the  questionable success of the bike-city of Boston forums lately occurring.


No comments: